Story Academy is a locally founded and operated community support group. The focus of Story Academy is to help people to learn to tell their story to empower themselves and others. Other perks are often business networking and other meaningful connections that are part of an active support system.
We believe that opportunities create stories, and stories create opportunities. Story Academy is a professional development program teaching people how to tell their story to empower themselves and others. It’s time to tell your story. Join us online or at our next live meeting: www.storyacademy.ca
We learn and meet online, as well as live meetups, professional development, and sponsored events. An online community was growing for quite some time, and finally in 2012, the group began face-to-face meetings. See diversity statement here.
- The First Rule of Story Academy is to stay positive!
- RSVP and follow registration instructions for each specific event.
- Email communications among members must be compliant with the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) at all times.
- Have cash ready for your meetup fee upon arrival. You will not be admitted unless you pay your meetup fee.
- Violation of any Story Academy policies or rules, not limited to this page, may result in termination of membership, at the sole discretion of Founders, Paul and Jennifer Henczel.
- Rules may be updated or changed at the sole discretion of Founders, Paul and Jennifer Henczel.
- This is not a non-profit organization. It is a marketing brand of Jennifer Henczel.
The First Rule of Story Academy is to stay positive!
Keep it positive and professional. Be a leader. Be yourself. Be energized by other local business owners. Got something to complain about? Be the solution instead. Don’t entertain negative gossip. Help others turn negatives into positives. This method of networking can greatly increase your connections and reach in the community. Choose your battles wisely. You never know who is struggling and needs some grace and some space. Let’s be there for each other. As a leader, be sure to lift others up. Be on your best behavior. Please remember that this group is run by a single volunteer and sole-proprietor, just like you. As an entrepreneur and business owner, this group was founded and is lead by, Jennifer Henczel, for the benefit of it’s members. Inspire others: “Leaders build up. Complainers tear down. Leaders inspire, complainers conspire.”
How do I RSVP for a monthly meeting?
Please note that for learning events and conferences, you must pre-pay through the website www.storyacademy.ca, but for the monthly meetings, you can RSVP through Meetup or Facebook or Meetup here:
FACEBOOK EVENTS: https://www.facebook.com/pg/storyacademy.ca/events/
MEETUP GROUPS: https://www.meetup.com/Story-Academy/
Please respect the policies and culture of the the group, while using best business practices and etiquette. The benefits for you is expanding your reach. Our group is based on reciprocity and a philosophy and community and collaboration. Those who only show up whenever they feel like it, with no RSVP, and only for their personal gain, are being rude and disrespectful to the leaders, fellow members, and visitors. Don’t just be a taker. Most of our members RSVP, so if you are doing that, this message is not for you, it’s for those who continually show up without RSVPing. If you do not want to follow the rules, then perhaps this group isn’t for you.
Policies around Live Story Academy Events
- Where available, Story Academy members can attend Live Story Academy events.
- Be on time for the Story Academy Live Events.
- If you attend, you must be available to be present for the entire meeting. Do not attend late or leave early.
- The Story Academy Live events include warm up storytelling exercises, and a time when you can deliver your stories live in front of the group.
- Where available, Story Academy Members can schedule a time to deliver their stories at a live meeting.
- You need to be present at a live meeting to schedule your storytelling time for a future meeting.
- If you want to attend the live meetings, if you have one in your area, please commit to attending as often as possible, not just during the days when you are doing your particular story.
- If you like, you can video yourself delivering your story in the meeting, and then upload that video to Facebook. If this is the case, you need to ask a fellow Story Academy participant to record it for you. You will then upload that video to the Facebook group, as usual, for review and feedback.
What type of group is this?
Story Academy is not a non-profit. Story Academy is an online program, built around a community of storytellers who support each other. As a bonus, there are live meetings in some areas.
When do I need to become a member?
Sign up HERE to become a member. Many people sign up right away, but where live meetings are available, you can attend 1 (one) Story Academy event maximum as a visitor at the non-member price. To attend further, you need to become a member. This are no complimentary visits. Visitors must pay the attendance fees. Story Academy events include meetups, summits, masterminds, or any event provided by Story Academy. You must become a member to receive the member benefits and to continue attending, beyond one event.
Where do the meetup fees go?
The meet-up and membership fees go towards expenses and operation of the Story Academy. For example: domain, web hosting, website, Meet-up.com account, Constant Contact email newsletter, social media marketing, SEO, equipment, printed materials (business cards, handouts, postcards, banners, etc), bags, draw prizes, promotional activities, administrative costs, operation costs, travel costs, staff and sub-contractor costs, and other technical costs.
Invoices and Receipts
We don’t create or provide invoices. We provide receipts that are generated by our payment system, which are 100% compliant with CRA. For live networking meetups, when people pay cash at our events, the leader of each group provides receipts from their own company. Posting the GST# is not required on receipts, because we are not a non-profit, but the leaders do provide it on their receipts. When memberships are purchased manually, a digital receipt is generated, as mentioned above. If you received a receipt that does not have the GST# on it, you can see it here: GST 885937292 RT 0001
Is this a non-profit or community group?
No. This is not a registered charity, non-profit, or society. There are no committees or boards. To be very clear, Story Academy is not structured as a community group, and is a program offered by Jennifer Henczel. Most meetups find it too costly to become registered as a non-profit. As with many meet-up groups, the income and expenses are accounted for through the sole proprietorship or corporation of the founder, in compliance with CRA. In this case, this group was founded by and is operated by Jennifer Henczel of Affective Communications (AC). Story Academy is a marketing brand, service, and program offered by AC. Story Academy was founded by Jennifer Henczel, as a service of her sole proprietorship. Revenues are absorbed and reported by a private, for-profit business. She alone operates the group, sets program policies, hosts the meet-ups and other group activities. As with any business service, Jennifer Henczel makes up any extra costs associated with Story Academy programs, and absorbs any profits that may be generated by Story Academy. While she often takes group feedback into consideration, and implements many of the suggestions, all final decisions in regards to the group are made by Jennifer Henczel. Please feel free to contact Jennifer Henczel with any questions about the structure of the group: 778-823-2421
How are the funds processed and allocated?
Revenues do not go to a charity. Revenues are absorbed and reported by a private, for profit business in compliance with CRA. With that said, this is intentionally a low cost model, and little if any profit is not expected. Any monetary benefits are expected only from the nature of networking itself.
However, the founder is involved with community volunteering, so fund raising opportunities may be introduced into the group now and then. The fees are on the low end of standard pricing in the industry and are intended for maintenance, towards the mutual benefit of all members, as described in the associated costs above.
Meeting fees and membership payments are not transferable and are not refundable in any way.
The following Polices are introduced to help the group run more smoothly and many of the ideas have been requested or first put forward by other Group Members.
When you join our Group, you will be a valued member. Any ideas you may have to help the group achieve it’s objectives, will always be welcome and given the due consideration it deserves.
We are fortunate to have so many amazing create people associated with this group. Your ideas are valuable. Where the request or idea requires further investigation, the member who first raised the idea/suggestion, will be asked to look into it further. This approach helps ensure that members fully consider their ideas before bringing them up for review.
All visitors and members must adhere to the policies on this page, standard business etiquette. The list of questions and policies here are not exhaustive, but posted as a guideline to provide some initial direction. if additional concerns are raised with you by the management of the group, you will be responsible for responding appropriately. For example, If a member repeatedly shows up to meetups without RSVPing their membership may be revoked. The policies and guidelines here may be updated and changed at the discretion of the group management.
As a member of this group, you are responsible for being professional and courteous to the restaurant staff and facilities. If you have a problem with the restaurant, report it to the group leader. It is critical that we keep good working relationships with the venue owners.
Connect with other Story Academyers between meetups and events
Story Academy Page: https://www.facebook.com/storyacademy.ca
Story Academy Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/storyacademy
Story Academy Linkedin Group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13507797
Jennifer Henczel’s Responsibilities
Here is a peak at the list of duties are complete on a regular basis:
- Enforcement of Story Academy policies
- Maintains the website
- planning and promoting the meetings
- Curriculum development
- Presentations (Mastermind Groups)
- Liaison with venue owners and guest speakers (Mastermind Groups)
- All administration, including setting up and providing a system that issues receipts.
- Developing Marketing literature and overseeing the Group Marketing Plan.
- Preparing weekly Meeting Agendas.
- Helping to ensure lunch Meetings and mastermind groups run smoothly and on time.
- Recording weekly, Member and Guest visits and ensuring fees are paid.
- Preparing facilities for lunch Meetings and other Member events.
- Member presentation and what assistance they are looking for.
- Processing new Members and ensuring subscriptions are up-to-date.
- Recording and processing member suggestions and ideas.
- Introducing new policies as needed.
How can I contact the person running the meetings?
Contact Jennifer Henczel via email or phone 778-823-2421.
These policies will be added to and change as the group progresses. Please check back often.